SCIP (Special needs Community Information Point)
SCIP (Special needs Community Information Point) is an information and advice service for families with children/young people from birth to 25-year-olds with a disability or additional needs. By joining SCIP you get:
- SCIP Card
- Activity Passport
- Email updates on local events and activities
- Request information specific to your child
The SCIP card
The card can help you to show your child/young person has a disability or additional need. It does not entitle you to any benefits, goods, or services. However, it can be used:
- as proof that your child /young person has a disability
- if they need to use facilities provided for disabled people
- if you need to ask for assistance
There is no charge for this card.
This card does NOT allow you to park in spaces provided for disabled people – for this you must have a Blue Badge. Cambridgeshire County Council is responsible for the administration and enforcement of Blue Badge regulations within Cambridgeshire. If you reside in Cambridgeshire, you can apply for a Blue Badge.
Who is entitled to a SCIP Card?
You are entitled to a card if you live in Cambridgeshire and your child/young person is enrolled on the SCIP Database and has a disability or additional needs which have a substantial and long-term negative effect on their ability to do normal daily activities and:
- is classed as disabled by Cambridgeshire’s Social Services; or
- has a Statement of Educational Needs (SEN); or
- receives Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) (either care or mobility component); or
- is confirmed as meeting the requirements by an appropriately qualified practitioner i.e. Paediatrician, Psychologist, etc.
How do I apply for a card?
If your child is under 16 years old, fill in the application form online
A young person, 16 years or over, can apply for their own card if they are able to do so. If you have any questions or difficulty completing the online form, contact the SCIP Co-ordinator.
Call: 01480 379827
How long is the card valid for?
The card is valid for a maximum of 3 years.
It is your responsibility to remember to renew the card. A reminder will not be sent to you. It may take up to 28 days for the card to be processed.
The SCIP Activities Passport booklet will help you to provide essential information about your child when they are going to an activity such as scouts, play schemes, organised activities, etc. The Passport can hold information about your child’s medication, likes and dislikes, and emergency contacts.
How do we use your information?
The Children Act of 1989 requires all County Councils to keep an up-to-date list of disabled children and young people in their areas. In Cambridgeshire SCIP was set up to do this. Information you provide is used to gather information about the needs and services required by children, young people and their families which helps with the future planning of services.
Telephone: 01480 379 827