Equality and Diversity

Children playing with adult

Equality is about ensuring everybody has an equal opportunity, and is not treated differently or discriminated against because of their characteristics.

Diversity is about taking account of the differences between people and groups of people, and placing a positive value on those differences.

This page has some useful resources for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities and their families.

Lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer, questioning, intersex +

Easy Read guides

The Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCIE) has produced some Easy Read Guides for

LGBTQI+ people with disabilities.

You can find the information on the SCIE website.

Anti Bullying Alliance - Gypsy, Roma & Traveller Targeted Bullying

In February 2020, the Anti Bullying Alliance consulted with Gypsy, Roma and Traveller young people to find out about their experiences of bullying in school as part of a project delievered with Friends, Families and Travellers and funded by The Esmée Fairbairn Foundation.

Their main finding was that Gypsy, Roma and Traveller children and young people experience high levels of bullying and exclusion in schools, have lower attainment levels and are among those most likely to be excluded from school (Equality & Human Rights Commission, 2016).

Click this link to read more information on their website.


Gender identity

If your child is experiencing discomfort or uncertainty about their gender identity, and it's causing distress, it's important they talk to an adult they can trust. 

Options include parents, who may be much more supportive than you expect. Schools and colleges are now much more aware of trans and gender identity issues, are keen to support young people and have a duty to do so. 

If your child doesn’t feel able to talk to someone they already know, there are several charities and local gender support groups they can talk to. Many have trained counsellors they can speak to in confidence. You can find a list of charities and support groups here. 

There is NHS help available for teenagers who need support around gender. 

If you have strong and continuing feelings of identifying as a gender that is not the one you were assigned at birth, and are distressed about this, there are various options available. These include talking therapy and hormone treatment and, after 18 years of age, surgery if appropriate. 

Your GP, other health professional, school, or a gender support group may refer you to the Gender Identity Development Service (GIDS) at the Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust. 

This NHS service specialises in helping young people up to the age of 18 with gender identity issues. It takes referrals from anywhere in England. Its principal clinics are in London and Leeds. 

Hate Crimes

Hate crimes can be committed against a person or property, and are crimes which the victim or any other person perceives to be motivated by hostility or prejudice towards any aspect of a person’s identity, namely:

  • Disability
  • Race or ethnicity
  • Religion or belief
  • Sexual Orientation
  • Gender Identity

A victim does not have to be a member of the group at which the hostility is targeted. In fact, anyone could be a victim of a hate crime.

About hate crimes and incidents

Hate crime incidents may involve:

  • physical attacks
  • verbal abuse
  • domestic abuse
  • harassment
  • damage to your property
  • bullying
  • graffiti

A Hate Incident, which may or may not be a crime, is any incident that the victim or any person perceives to be motivated by hostility or prejudice towards any aspect of a person’s identity.

Hate incidents can often escalate to crimes and as such the police are concerned about incidents in addition to crimes, and these should be reported. The police can only prosecute when the law is broken, but can work closely with partners and other organisations to try and prevent any escalation in seriousness.

By reporting hate crimes and hate incidents, you may be able to prevent these incidents from happening to someone else.

How to report a Hate Crime

What to do

If you feel that the incident you have witnessed is in need of a response immediately then you can contact the police by calling 999.

Methods of reporting

Telephone police “ 101” (Non-Emergency)

Cambridgeshire Police website – http:www.cambs-police.co.uk/victims/report online/

The True Vision online reporting, Report It - http://report-it.org.uk/home

Local Support

Victim & Witness’ Hub in Cambridgeshire on 0800 781 6818. The Victim’s Hub is run by Cambridgeshire Constabulary. Lines are open 8.00am-7.00pm Monday to Friday, and 9.00am-5.00pm on Saturdays. Email: victimandwitnesshub@cambs.pnn.police.uk


Related Pages

  1. Making a compliment or complaint about SEND services
  2. Know your rights
  3. Resolving disputes and mediation

External Links

  1. Easy read: LGBTQI+ Disabled People using Self-Directed Support
  2. Cambridgeshire Constabulary - Report a crime
  3. Anti-Bullying Alliance


Skip back to top of page