Safeguarding Children

Upset girl

Child protection involves taking steps to safeguard children and young people at risk or suffering from physical, emotional or sexual abuse.

What should you do if you think a child is being abused

If you think you or the child is in immediate danger and needs urgent help, please call the police on 999.

Please contact us if you are:

  • concerned that a child may be suffering physical, sexual or emotional abuse or is being neglected.
  • a child or young person and you are being abused or neglected.
  • a parent or carer and you feel you are harming your child or are close to doing so.

More information on safeguarding children and child protection is available on

Professionals - Reporting safeguarding concerns

Make a referral for a child or young person in need, or where there is reason to suspect they are likely to suffer significant harm because of abuse or neglect. Professionals can report a safeguarding concern on the Joint Peterborough and Cambridgeshire Safeguarding website. There is also full supporting guidance, risk assessment tools and threshold information on the website.

Public - Reporting safeguarding concerns

Please let us know if you have safeguarding concerns or are worried about a child by completeting the online referral form.

If you are not a professional involved with the child or family, you do not have to give your name and your conversation will be treated confidentially.

Related Pages

  1. Reducing Parental Conflict
  2. Special Educational Needs Support

Related Services

  1. Childline
  2. Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Safeguarding Children Board
  3. NSPCC

External Links

  1. Safeguarding children and young people
  2. NHS Urgent and Emergency Care Services
  3. Mental Health First Response service


Skip back to top of page