Support for families

Family photo, two children being held by their parents

A range of services support all families, as well as families of children with SEND.  

Specialist Support for families of children with SEND

If your child has significant and complex additional needs and is part of Early Support, the Early Support Adviser or SEND Specialist will also be able to offer advice and information for parents.  

Cambridgeshire's Special Educational Needs and Disability Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS), formerly the Parent Partnership Service, can provide help with information, advice and support if you are concerned about your child and the support they need.  

Pinpoint, an independent parent support network, provides support, advice and information to all parents and details of local parent groups. 

Universal Services – support for all families

Health Services 

All babies have regular health and development reviews during their early years as part of the Healthy Child Programme. These are generally carried out by your health visitor or a member of the health visiting team. NHS Choices has detailed information about the reviews and the ages they take place. 

If you have any worries about your child’s development, talk to your health visitor or doctor as soon as possible. If anyone feels that there are concerns about your child, they may: 

  • complete a health and development assessment 

  • complete an Early Help Assessment (EHA) which looks at your child's and family's needs, the support you need and how this will be provided 

Child and Family Centres 

Child and Family Centres are for all families with children under 5. They provide groups, activities and access to information and advice. The centres work closely with teams across health, education and social care. Many centres also loan resources, for example sensory equipment, which you can borrow and use with your child at home. 

Family workers can provide more individual advice and practical support for families who need extra supportThey may complete an Early Help Assessment (EHA) with you to understand your child and family's needs and your prioritiesThey may suggest you take part in a parenting course such as Stepping Stones designed for parents and carers of children with special educational needs. 

Voluntary and Community services 

The Local Offer Directory includes details of local and national charities and voluntary organisations, that support families and children. Pinpoint, the local parent support and involvement network, run by parents for parents, provides opportunities to meet with other parents, information on events, activities, local parent groups and opportunities to get involved in shaping local services. 

50 Things to do Before You’re Five 

50 Things to do Before You’re Five is our free to download app for parents to help you take part in a range in different and exciting activities with your child. Search in your app or play store for “50 things” and click on “Cambridgeshire and Peterborough” on the introduction screen. All the activities in the app are low or no cost, some have links to places you can carry them out in the local area and every activity has ways to support your child with special educational needs to take part in the activities.  

Related Pages

  1. SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS)
  2. Have Your Say

External Links

  1. Cambridgeshire NHS Community Services
  2. Cambridgeshire Child and Family Centres
  3. Pinpoint Parent Carer Forum
  4. 50 things to do before you're five


Skip back to top of page